-are really affordable and just as much fun as an in-ground pool
They also have many advantages over in-ground pools; not the least of which is that they are a great deal safer. A child could easily fall into an in-ground pool but to fall into most above ground pools they would have to take a running jump!
Another huge advantage is that you can be swimming very soon after making the decision that you are going to install a pool.
There are many models on the market, ranging from a simple inflatable pool to a steel or solid-timber-framed, vinyl-liner showpiece with lights, heating, fencing, decking, sound-system and sun terrace
Prices start at under $100 for a small pool with pump and filter - 'small' meaning just about right for splashing around with a couple of kids
Above-ground pools are considerably cheaper than an in-ground pool of the same surface area; maybe as much as 90% cheaper! That's a big difference
Above ground pools don't need to be small, or take a long time to build. Here's a time-lapse video of Spanish company AstralPool building an Olympic sized pool for 'Melbourne 2007' in one minute flat!
And here's another one that took slightly longer - 3 minutes
Advantages of Above Ground Pools
- A lot simpler and quicker to install - many can be installed in just one day
- Can be self-installed (or your pool shop should be able to inform you of a local contractor)
- No need to excavate; just prepare a level base and away you go, carefully following the manufacturers instructions of course
- Above ground pools are safer for kids and pets. The access ladder/steps presents quite a challenge to a young child; removing the ladder presents an even bigger challenge
- Less maintenance because far less grass clippings, dust and debris gets into the water
- Therefore, less of those expensive pool chemicals are needed to keep the pool sanitized
- Local wildlife is less likely to end up in the pool and drown
- Leaks are easily traced and easily fixed - a simple vinyl patch will fix most leaks
- Portability - should you decide to move the pool closer or further away from the house, into or out of a shady spot or even to a different property the pool can be drained, shifted and re-filled in just a couple of days. Try doing that with an in-ground pool!
- An above-ground pool can be disassembled at the end of the season so the backyard can be used for other purposes
- When it comes time to sell the property and move, the above ground pool can be disassembled and taken with you
- An in-ground pool adds value to your home, which means your property will probably be assessed at a higher rate, incurring higher property taxes or rates. That's not the case with an above ground pool, because they are classed as temporary, i.e. removable, features
- Whilst an above-ground pool does not add actual monetary value to the property it could certainly add desirability if you're planning to sell the property
- Not all property-buyers are attracted to a house with a pool but if your pool is an above-ground model it can be easily and inexpensively removed by the new owners
- No issues with draining the pool - (in-ground pools cannot be fully drained if the water table is too high)
Disadvantages of Above-ground Pools
- Most models are too shallow to dive into or to use slides
- Many are not really suitable for doing laps (However, if you have a large budget - watch this video)
- Many pools of this type have flexible sides which are unsuitable for 'pushing-off' with the feet
- Kids can run into the exposed sides of many above-ground pools and so they are more prone to damage
- Some of the budget models last around 10 years at best before the liner needs replacement, although some top-end models are guaranteed for as long as 30 years
- There are no 'free-form' pools of this type - shapes are limited to square, rectangular, round, oval or octagonal - i.e no kidney pools with an island bar!
We supply all plant and equipment featured on this website, including what you see on this page.
All our work is Guaranteed; Parts and Labour
For free and unbiased advice, a site visit or no-obligation Quotation*, please make initial enquiries by email. Tell us a little about your pool problem and include a daytime phone number. Thanks, we look forward to meeting you soon.
*We only offer Quotations: - a fixed, agreed price that cannot, and will not, be increased. We do not give 'estimates', as an estimate offers no guarantee of final price.
Note: - Please contact our recommended Pool Professionals for supply and installation of all pool-related services: -
Andalusia and the Costa del Sol - Pool Safety Spain
Each of the above offers years of experience, free unbiased advice and excellent, Professional service.
Share this website with other Pool Owners and Users, and help us to make every pool a safer place. By sharing this information we can cut the number of pool accidents and deaths. Please also see our Facebook page.
Ken Walker - MyPoolGuru©